Friday, July 27, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: A review


Harry leaps into action at the very beginning, as he finally leaves the Dursleys and the Privet Drive behind. Everything happens at such an incredible speed, that one is overwhelmed with the amount of cursing and spellbinding our heroes have to do in the first fifty pages. Even the first tragic death occurs. Harry, Ron and Hermine take off to look for the Horcruxes, only to face perplexity and despair and mood swings, which are totally comprehensible. They learn of the lore of the Deathly Hallow,which sends them on a new journey and adds more pieces to the puzzle Dumbledore wanted Harry to complete. But the voyage of the (sometimes) three friends isn't fun and games at all, I think this is by far the most frustrating and difficult final adventure the three had to face. Because once their journey leads them to their final destination, the battle between the Voldemort's creatures and Dumbledore's Army is inevitable. There's a lot of dying and a lot just seems so unfair...but the pieces of the puzzle finally gather and everything starts to clear up. We learn Snape's story and of Dumbledore's plans for Harry. Finally, there is a the confontation between Harry and Voldemort, the last one. I'm not giving you the details, but it's very...intricate. Be sure that you are fully awake when you read the end. Don't rush it. It's a lot to take it. But it's very cool, especially the end. You'll see what I mean.

I admit, I had a bit of a head start, but anyway, I finished the book after a mind numbing marathon. I read till five in the morning on Saturday and got up early on Sunday to finish it. And it was awsome. I devoured every page, craving to learn what was to come next and wanting to get some answers to questions that popped up at the end of the Half Blood Prince. Instead there are even more mysteries, more riddles and more lies. But Harry does uncover the truth eventually, and when he does, your're in for a really grand finale. The great thing is, that when you're finished, you want to read all the books again, beause now that you know everything, certain details in the past become clear. Snape's motive's are revealed (I was so right!) and you get to see a whole new side of Albus Dumbledore. What I wondered though, is how they plan to make it into a movie. The story is filled woth crucial details. I can't think of anything that can just be left out, like in the previous movies. I doubt that there is going to be a double feauture, but honestly I'm really curious about how else they are going to do it. But I hope you enjoy. My tip: buy a lot of cookies, prepare tea for about one and a half days, get a blanket, some cushions, make sure you're not disturbed, and Potter away!

No comments: