Thursday, October 23, 2008

Halloween, Embarrassment and Why I'm a Sybil

Halloween is around the corner and I have no costume. Now THAT's a horror. I was God last year, so I didn't really need a costume (hardy freaking har har; I know, I'm not at my best today, funnywise at least). Maybe I could go as Sarah Palin, that would be scary. Too obvious, I know. Maybe I'll go as a ghoul bride. I think I can pull off the undead thing. Little bit of white, little bit of blood smeared around my mouth...why not? Problem solved. Vonderfuuul...(<-that's my Dracula voice, in case you didn't know).

I found out today that people read this stuff here (although 'people' might be a bit of an overstatement) and now I'm all embarrassed. Now I feel pressured to be supersmart and original. Dear Reader, know that you are cause to self-doubt and fear of failure. It used to be so much fun, being sarcastic and cynical and slightly pathetic when I was having one of my moody why-is-life-so-cruel days. Now I have to wonder whether I can proficiently translate my sick and childish sense of humor into my writing and deep stuff like that. But, argh, what am I saying? Everybody loves an audience, right? Uh-hu. Anywho...I just (re)watched a great movie the other day, "My First Mister". Leelee Sobieski and Albert Brooks have this great dialogue:

Randall (Albert B.)
: Shut up, Sybil, shut up.
Jennifer (Leelee S.): Sybil?
Randall: Yeah, you know Sybil? The woman with the eight home phone numbers? It's not necessarily a bad thing. A plethora of personalities can be very enchanting.
Jennifer: Fuck you.
Randall: Fuck you.
Jennifer: Fuck you!
Randall: Fuck you, all eight of you.

Do you know Sybil Dorsett? Her real name was Shirley Mason and she got famous for having a very severe case of dissociative identity disorder, meaning she had 16 co-existing personalities. Someone wrote a book about it, then it was made into a movie and recently they made a remake fo the 70s flic for CBS. Google her; the story is so far out.
Don't you think we all have a plethora of personalities? The people we know all know a different side of us and we behave differently around each of them. It depends on how well they know you - or want to know you. I guess we just display different aspects of our personality. But sometimes I think the aspects of my personality are so far apart that it doesn't seem possible that they are all part of one person. And maybe I'm just really full of myself (I'm grinning right now, just so you know that I once again think I'm pretty funny when I'm not. I'm typsy, that's the problem.) Okay, shutting up now.

No comments: