Sunday, September 26, 2010

Diversity - Welcome to the Clone Wars

University: a place where a plethora of types and personalities are supposed to gather to bathe in knowledge and try to indulge in their academic aspirations. Showing interest and participating is what counts. You can be yourself and people will respect it as long as your not annoying anyone too much, which means you can wear whatever you want and be a fan of whatever you want and not fear judgment by your peers. Shouldn't that be the perfect basis for people to grow out of the skins they wore in High School and transform into whatever they choose to be? I thought that meant I would experience more diversity in the way people chose to display themselves.

But starting my third year, I've started to realize that somehow, more and more people have joined the ranks of clones of the H&M- and Burberry-models. It's all a sea of beige and black and navy blue that seems to engulf personal traits and swallow any sign of individuality. I hardly see any Goths anymore or any pink haired pseudo-punks. Or any boring people who dare wear stuff that hasn't been in since 1993.

How the hell am I supposed to judge people by their exterior if they all look the same? Yeah, yeah, I'm aware I shoudn't do that, but come on, we all do it. We need some clues, though and when everyone is wearing blazers and ballerinas and fake army boots and charm bracelets and oversized glasses, how are we supposed to differentiate between the people who look stuck up or rich or nice or interesting? I need people to have freaky tatoos or wear funny hats and weird shoes or something. Otherwise I just have to assume that eyerone is boring. I'll have to start judging people by their eye color and I really wouldn't want to go there.

No comments: