Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Somwhere something's happening

If it's raining, and I hold my press my fingers against my ears (on the pinna), it sounds as is if it was raining inside my ears. It's amazing how much useless information one can gather by doing absolutely nothing.
Well' actually there's always something happening in the world, even if we don't know it, see it or hear it: that doesn't mean nothing's going on. It's like the business with the tree in the forest, you know, if a tree falls in the forest, and there is nobody around, does it make a sound? We are so fixated on our sphere of perception, that we rarely think about things that happen in the rest of the world, do we? The news don't count, 'cause even though we see what happened at the same time we might have been drinking coffee or taking a walk with our dog, it's already in the past. Plus, the average consumer of media information blocks out most threads to reality so he can distance himself from whatever horrible thing happened. What I'm talking about is the awareness that somewhere else, in the exact same time, something is happening to someone else. Someone is doing something, like pouring coffee or dying. Why don't you give the whole awareness thing a try? Do this:

1. As soon as you have finished reading this, stop what you are doing.
2. Then, you have to think about what you've just been doing, where you are and who you are.
3. Now try to imagine a random person on a random continent doing something completely random. Example: A woman in Taiwan giving birth to twins in a crappy hospital.
4.Try to imagine what she's feeling.
5. Do this a few times a day.
6. Congratulations, you are now an aware human being.

You can also do it with famous people. Are Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis drinking wine in front of their fireplace, talking about what school Jack should go to? Is John Cusack looking for one of his socks? Is Jennifer Garner feeding her baby and wondering how Ben can forget his phone every goddamn time he goes out of the house? Maybe right now, someone is thinking about you.

Sadistic Statistic

Every 15 minutes, someone dies from an alcohol related collision. (3, 2, 1...now)
Every 35 seconds, someone dies from cardiovascular disease.
Every 17 minutes, someone kills himself.
Every 6.5 seconds, someone dies.
And every second, 3 children are born.

2 comments:

Sabina said...

Hello stranger,

I'm commenting here to make sure you actually get my response to the comment you left on my 101 in 1001 page.

You have no idea how much your comment means to me, especially coming from someone completely random. You've totally brightened up my day - hell, my week, even? - which is something I totally needed right now.

Looking at your profile, too, it's brilliant how alike we are. And several of your most recent posts in your blog (which I've only briefly scanned, as I'm just about to get off the computer for the night) are about some things I really love: Dead Like Me, Harry Potter, Germany! (Oh, how I'd love to go to Berlin...). This latest post, however, is just so close to my heart that it's really eerie...

Oh, now I'm sounding creepy. My apologies. But, you're really very interesting and I'd really like to talk to you! Do you have MSN by any chance?

Luv,
another stranger.

Morg said...

Hey, in case you look by,
wrote a comment on your site in response...