Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Aye, Aye, Admiral

The first time I had the pleasure to see Admiral James T. perform was five years ago, when I made the first step on the road of adolenscence. It just so happened that I stumbled into a bar with a few of my good friends where Admiral James T. and the Bell Garden Four were to perform some days ago. This was a few weeks after my birthday, when I officially crossed into the depths of adulthood. What a coicidence, I thought, that the Admiral was always there when my life took a new turn. He's like my personal Hermes, watching over me as I travel the roads of this complicated life...

But the point I would like to make has nothing to do with his possible status as semi-deity. (I know, I get distracted.) Actually, this is supposed to be a tribute to the Admiral. So here it goes...

As I take to a wide variety of musical genres, it was an absolute delight to get to hear mellow country tunes fade into harsher but still pleasant rock melodies. Sometimes I had to think of Bowie, sometimes of Cash. The three sets perfectly built up to a rapturous climax. I knew that Admiral James T. and the Bell Garden Four had the crowd wrapped around their musical finger when the cool nodds and the anonymous tapping shoes were replaced by swaying bodies and slightly uncontrolled limbs shooting rhythmically in different directions.
Of course, the Admiral is also a reasonably handsome fellow and charming enough to make sure that the females (and males, I guess) in the audience were mesmerized by his jest and style. So, please, do not mistake this for an unbiased comment.

Thus my praise ends, but take this with you: if you ever get the chance to see the Admiral, do not hesitate to do so. Be it only to experience his outrageously wonderful, loud persona.

No comments: