Monday, March 12, 2007

Don't You Tell Me

I've finally gone with the flow and got myself an iPod. It's a mini, which nowadays is already totally retro. So today I walked around with my headphones on all day, listening to the Best of Me, which means everything from 80s hits like "Oh Mickey" to Neil Young's "Down by the River" and the Clash's "Come on Eileen".

I don't think listening to music is anti-social. While the Bangles were singing just for me, I watched the world around me go on and on. Not only did I feel like I was in a musical, but I noticed how people are different when you aren't really listening to them. Either they just ignore the fact that you're not hearing a word they're saying, or they give you that look that's supposed to tell you that they want to tell you something and that you should take those wretched headphones off. I just smiled back derisively and nodded my head rhythmically (or so I hope) to Tenacious D's "Tribute". Just so you know: they don't like it. But hey, do I care? Do you?

Music also changes the listener. While listening to the Jam's "A Town Called Malice" I felt like dancing on the table. Alisson Krauss singing "That Kind of Love" made me want to curl up in a corner and cry. That all happened within five minutes.

Do you know how some people say that listening to the wrong kind of music can make you commit suicide? Usually they mean stuff like Death Metal and so on. I must agree, that there is music that makes me feel suicidal. But that's stuff like Britney Spears or Paris Hilton. Listening to that kind of music feels like a hand groping around in my bowels. I just want it to stop, so a bullet would be appreciated in a moment like that. But really, statistics showed that Country fans have the highest suicide rate. Is Willie Nelson the Devil? Marilyn, you're off the hook.

No comments: